Applications for 2019 are now open!
What is Incubator?
Incubator is Monash SEED’s flagship program, and aims to introduce students to the skills needed to create their own social enterprises. The program takes place during the 2nd semester of the year.
1. To immerse students in Melbourne’s vibrant social enterprise ecosystem
2. To build sustainable student-led social enterprises for positive impact
By the end of the program you'll have:
- Be a student currently studying at an Australian University
- Be committed to creating a positive impact through business. Applicants may have a specific social enterprise idea, or may be seeking to learn about startup knowledge and concepts in order to formulate and action a social enterprise idea.
- Be fully committed and available throughout the entire program (Saturday 17th August to Monday 7th October). Workshops will be three-hour sessions commencing on Saturday the 17th August to the 28th September 2018 at the Foundation For Young Australians (FYA) Hub.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Participants must be able to attend all workshops, which take place on Saturdays from 1-4pm for 6 consecutive week. Applicants must also be able to commit to pitching at the final Pitch Night evening.
Nope! Any social enterprise idea is acceptable (and encouraged!) so long as it aims to empower communities either at Monash or beyond, create positive impact, advocate for social change and all the while being financially sustainable
Yes! You can apply as an individual, an individual looking to team up with our applicants, or as part of a team.
- You enjoy challenges, problem solving and working on real world issues
- You have an inspiring vision to share
- You have a business idea but have no idea where to start
- You are motivated and passionate about your idea
- You are looking to meet other like-minded students
- You want to see how your degree can translate into a career and meet those on that trajectory or industry professionals
Applications for 2019 are now open!
Last year, five teams participated in our total 9-week-long Incubator program, each with a business idea to create a positive social impact. They began by attending a program induction on the 27th of July, and participated in six 3-hour-long workshop six consecutive weeks, commencing on the 4th of August.
The workshops were held at a space generously provided by the Foundation of Young Australians. Each workshop had a specific focus that helped participants further develop their business idea. This includes Social Impact, Business Models and MVPs, Value Proposition, Branding and Marketing, Finance and Governance, and Pitching. We had special guest industry professionals came and volunteered their time to helping teams bring their idea into fruition, including Gordon Chan from World Vision Australia, Isaac Jeffries from The Difference Incubator, Kartik Iyer from Small Giants and Demetrio Zema from Law Squared.
These workshops built up to our final Pitch Night, where teams would present their idea to an audience of 150 and a panel of judges. We were privileged to have Manita Ray from YGAP, Josh Farr from Campus Consultancy, and Ellie Cooper from One Roof be our judges for the night!
Our deserving winners were Isaac, Victoria and Alfie who are the founders of Holmes!
"If Sherlock Holmes was to be in the 21st century and hired by a shopaholic hipster with a sustainable conscious and wants to know their impact when purchasing their Kombucha, Kimchi and craft beer, combine all this into an app and you have Holmes."
Check out their Facebook Page here!